BBC Software Engineering Degree Apprenticeship
Applications for this scheme are now closed. Assessment days for this scheme are scheduled for Wednesday 17th and Thursday 18th May 2017.
About the scheme
We are delighted to extend our software engineering degree apprenticeship to our London offices. This is a fantastic opportunity for you if you have left formal education with A Levels or an equivalent qualification, and is perfect if you have a passion for coding, building websites and software development.
Our four-year degree apprenticeship enables you to experience different areas of BBC Design & Engineering, working on any of our dynamic products and services. As well as studying for a full bachelor’s degree in Digital and Technology Solutions you will also become experienced in many different languages and methodologies, getting the opportunity to work on a variety of platforms, from an iOS app to developing scalable code on Amazon Web Services.
You'll also receive lots of relevant training from our award-winning in-house training facility and will be learning from some of the industry’s best senior developers and product specialists in a positive, friendly environment.
About BBC Design & Engineering
We deliver products, platforms and services globally, supporting the BBC's digital transformation and helping to change the BBC into an internet fit broadcaster. Our software engineers are at the very heart of this transformation and as a software engineering degree apprentice you will be a part of the teams that create and deliver our most innovative and popular digital products, such as BBC News and Sport apps and of course BBC iPlayer, our pioneering on-demand service. Almost everyone in the UK spends time with BBC content each week and it feels amazing to be part of something that reaches so many people.
You have good analytical, creative and logical reasoning skills, alongside raw ability and a real interest in technology and software. You have good numeracy skills and a strong commitment to complete this four-year apprenticeship.
Our entry requirements
- You are 18 years old or over at the start of September 2017
- You live within reasonable commuting distance to W1A 1AA, W12 7TQ and E1 4NS
- You have at least five GCSEs grades A*-C, including English and Maths
- You have the right to work in the UK. We are unable to accept applications from you if you require a work permit
- You have Level 3 qualifications, such as A levels or a BTEC National (or equivalent) in a relevant subject (eg maths or another science)
- We're unable to accept your application if you already have, or are currently working towards, a Level 4 or equivalent qualification, for example a higher apprenticeship, degree or foundation degree or above
More about the apprenticeship
Our degree apprenticeship is a unique way to join the exciting world of BBC Design & Engineering. You'll be based in either New Broadcasting House (W1A 1AA) or White City (W12 7TQ) and will study at Queen Mary University, London (E1 4NS) two days per week.
This apprenticeship also underlines our long-term commitment to supporting employment and training across the region. We aim to find talented people from a diverse range of backgrounds. We also aim to provide you with the best possible technical skills and knowledge to really benefit from this fantastic opportunity. On completion of the scheme you will:
- have gained a full bachelor’s degree in Digital and Technology Solutions
- have gained invaluable work experience to help you get started in your software engineering career
- have a chance to apply for a permanent position with us.
At the BBC we view equality and diversity as a creative opportunity to embrace, respond to and be relevant to the totality of the UK’s audiences. Our culture values individuals and embraces diversity.