Where it Begins: The Radio 1, 1Xtra & Asian Network Scheme
This scheme is now closed for applications. Follow @BBCGetin for up-to-date information.
Across Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network you’ll work with our show teams and departments to find out about everything we do and how we do it. From daily shows to music sessions to live events you will get a chance to experience it all.
- Passionate about music and digital tech and are doing something about it?
- Already making your own Youtube videos, broadcasting radio programmes, writing your own blogs, making your own films?
- The sort of person who has ‘get up and go’ and can get stuff done?
- Want to get hands on experience across all areas of Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network, from live events to programmes, to online and visualisation?
- Want the chance to receive industry standard training from the BBC Academy?
- Want a chance to share your creative ideas with programme teams across Radio 1,1Xtra, Asian Network and the wider BBC?
THEN THIS SCHEME IS FOR YOU!
Our paid 8 week placements will give you the chance to work across our shows and departments. You'll get hands on skills at the heart of BBC Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network HQ.
We are now recruiting for the following placements:
Monday 3rd July - Friday 25thAugust 2017.
Monday 16th October - Friday 8th December 2017.
YOU NEED TO:
- Be creative and brilliant, passionate about radio, music and everything that appeals to a young audience.
- Have a love of all things digital.
- Know about current music and you’ll be listening to Radio , 1Xtra and/ or Asian Nework.
- Be into new technology and social media and will get how this is impacting on us and our audience.
- Be 18 or over and available to work in London for the 8 weeks of the placement (The placements are based in BBC New Broadcasting House, London).
- Be from any background, and any part of the UK. You don’t need to be a loud mouth! You could be quietly confident in your abilities.
YOU DON’T NEED TO:
- Be qualified! NB. You DON’T NEED any specific qualifications. Instead, show us that you have a big imagination and a genuine enthusiasm for exploring and building a career in the media.
- Want to be the next Greg James, Clara Amfo or Charlie Sloth. This is an 'off air' scheme, for people interested in careers in off air production roles. It is NOT a scheme for people interested in presenting.
More detail about the scheme
At the start of the placement, you will be set a Radio 1,1Xtra, Asian Network research brief to prepare and develop across the 8 weeks. You will then present your findings and ideas to senior management at the end of the placement. This could be on anything, from how we use social media to comedy. We will give you creative and insight training to help you with this project. You'll have regular meetings teams to develop your ideas.
During your time here you will also have a mentor. They will be a member of the Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network team who will spend time with you every week to discuss how your placement is going as well as your future plans.
During your time at Radio 1,1Xtra adn Asian Network you will work with teams across all stations, spending blocks of time in different departments. You will take part in meetings and brainstorms across Radio 1, 1Xtra and Asian Network and complete a range of duties for production teams prior to and during live shows.
Hours across the placement will mainly be 10-6pm Monday to Friday. However we are 24/7 stations and keen that our trainees experience and get involved with as much as possible. We are looking for flexible people who will be able to work weekends or alternative hours on request.
Watch 1Xtra careers sessions:
Learn more about working in broadcasting with the BBC Academy.
Read the Where it Begins Scheme FAQ.